A technician explains measurements whilst a scientist explains observations.

Inner speech

Our verbal thoughts, also known as "inner speech", are a special part of the contents of our minds. Many people believe that this "inner speech" is their inner self. However, the philosophers Renee Descartes and later, Gilbert Ryle, spotted that inner speech has a problem. Descartes noticed that inner speech simply pops into mind unbidden. You can notice this too, just close your eyes and wait for an item of inner speech - it just pops into mind. Ryle went further than Descartes, he pointed out that if inner speech were truly the product of conscious "thinking" then you would need to think of a thought before you could have a thought. Try it, thoughts just pop into mind, you cant consciously think "now I am going to have a thought" because if this were "conscious" you would need to think "now I am going to think that I am going to have a thought" and before this you would need to think "now I am going to think that I am going to think that I am going to have a thought". Ryle pointed out that having conscious verbal thoughts would involve an infinity of prior thoughts (this is known as Ryle's Regress).

So inner speech is derived from the activity of some part of our brains that is not conscious. Verbal thoughts just pop into mind as this inner speech processor generates a stream of words. This means that our inner speech is only a peripheral part of our minds - it pops into mind for consideration. It is the least part of us, our true minds being this glorious space and time where we exist that is based on the data from our senses.

So why do we have inner speech? My best guess is that it is normally a way of working on our emotions, making our glands release adrenaline and other hormones to create the peripheral vasodilation and discomfort of anger or the gastric inflammation of worry etc. It is also used to rehearse social interactions and to solve problems.


Ryle, G. (1949). Concept of Mind. (Incidently, Ryle used his "regress" in an attempt to prove that mind itself does not exist!).

4 comments:

  1. #All thanks to Mr Anderson for helping with my profits and making my fifth withdrawal possible. I'm here to share an amazing life changing opportunity with you. its called Bitcoin / Forex trading options. it is a highly lucrative business which can earn you as much as $2,570 in a week from an initial investment of just $200. I am living proof of this great business opportunity. If anyone is interested in trading on bitcoin or any cryptocurrency and want a successful trade without losing notify Mr Anderson now.Whatsapp: (+447883246472 )
    Email: tdameritrade077@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Few Months ago, I felt so depressed, got frustrated dealing with bad credits, but reaching out to HACK VANISH via Phone: +1 (747) 293-8514 and Email: HACK VANISH (@) GMAIL. COM gave my life a new meaning, after I found him credible through positive reviews read on some credit blogs, in a twinkle of an eye, this great hacker restored my credit score from 509 to 784 across all 3 major credit bureaus, evictions and repossession cleared, my LexisNexis and Chex system fixed respectively, some days later, I received an E-mail confirming the approval of my home loan, it was quite amazing because I never thought it was possible. Today, I can confidently say 2021 was an exceptional year for my husband and I as we now own a new home and a brand-new SUV courtesy HACK VANISH, I would definitely recommend him to anyone in need of a genuine Hacker.

    ReplyDelete

  3. I bring you all the good news... it’s really a testimony for me...I never knew my partner was cheating on me until I came across an online Wizard who help me hack his phone got me access to it without any physical contact with his phone... I could access his chats text messages and all.. from there I know another woman got pregnant for him.. he even got the woman a house where he goes to sleep whenever he told me he’s on night duty... after that I confronted him.. he wanted to lie so I show him all the proof which he can not deny... big thanks to. WIZARD BRIXTON WIZARDBRIXTON AT GMAIL DOT COM though it wasn’t easy cause it’s heartbreak but I thank god I'm able to know and find out the truth. God bless America. God bless women out here … contact him for a HACKING JOB: WIZARDBRIXTON AT GMAIL DOT COM, WHAT-APP : (+) 1807234 0428

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you heard about Marketplus247 ?.. Here is a brief on how you can invest and make almost twice as much as  you have invested in a smilingly short while.
    MARKETPLUS247 is a crypto investment platform developed to increase the quality of your crypto by trading and recreating it.  This platform was developed by crypto experts for the purpose of making profits….Here are some reasons why you should check out MARKETPLUS247 . COM .
    *Apart from the fact that you can make more profits daily, you also have the total control on how you funds are being exercised.. *You also have the ability to ask for a refund after a first try.
    *you are assured of a secure and safe Now what are you waiting for!! hurry up visit our website now @ Marketplus247 . com to Invest and Gain.

    ReplyDelete