A technician explains measurements whilst a scientist explains observations.

A brief note on the appearance of time in experience

Many years ago, when I first contemplated how we could have conscious experience I imagined that the brain was like a computer. Its parts were arranged over a few centimetres of space and at each instant it had a particular state in which some components were active and others quiescent. I then wondered how my experience of time passing could occur.

The first model of time passing that sprang to mind was of my "brain machine" being "washed over" by events in the world. A bit like exposing my brain to a 3D movie. I could imagine that only one frame of the movie existed at any moment.

The second model was a bit like the first but with time existing so that my brain moved through time rather than time moving through my brain.

It didn't take long for me to realise that both of these "models" were theories based on ideas about how the world worked, they were based on cosmology - the way events are arranged in time and space. I didn't like this theorizing because a scientist should observe the world and then theorize, not vice versa. This led to another idea of time in my experience.

If I actually look and listen it is obvious that events can occur simultaneously. Simultaneous events define a "space" so the simultaneity in my experience means that it is spatially arranged. I also notice that I can hear whole words and see things move so my experience extends through time. My conscious experience is an actual set of events arranged in space and time somewhere.

When I consider how events are arranged in the space of my experience it is clear that they have different angular displacements at the centre of that experience. The written word "go" on this page makes a smaller angle at the centre of my experience than the written word "simultaneously". It is also clear that when someone says "go" the word appears at their lips in my experience and is extended in time at their lips. If they say "begin" the word has a bigger angular separation at the centre of my experience (at my "now") than the word "go".

Both spatial and temporal "lengths" in my experience have angular separations at the centre of my experience. The centre being a geometrical point that is both a spatial point and instantaneously "now". So two separate times can be simultaneously present "now" because they project at a single point in the present instant. This seems weird but consider a rod on a table in front of you, both ends are simultaneously present and have an angular projection at a viewing point that cannot easily be found in the physical world. The point is not the point at the centre of my eye (I have two eyes and, if you know about geometrical optics it is clear that there is no simple physical point).

It turns out that this observation about the time within my experience is consistent with modern physics and cosmology. More surprising still, my earlier ideas are not consistent with modern cosmology, they are based on the cosmology that is assumed in school physics and this cosmology is wrong! (See Time and Conscious Experience )

7 comments:

  1. All thanks to Mr Anderson for helping with my profits and making my fifth withdrawal possible. I'm here to share an amazing life changing opportunity with you. its called Bitcoin / Forex trading options. it is a highly lucrative business which can earn you as much as $2,570 in a week from an initial investment of just $200. I am living proof of this great business opportunity. If anyone is interested in trading on bitcoin or any cryptocurrency and want a successful trade without losing notify Mr Anderson now.Whatsapp: (+447883246472 )
    Email: tdameritrade077@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. #All thanks to Mr Anderson for helping with my profits and making my fifth withdrawal possible. I'm here to share an amazing life changing opportunity with you. its called Bitcoin / Forex trading options. it is a highly lucrative business which can earn you as much as $2,570 in a week from an initial investment of just $200. I am living proof of this great business opportunity. If anyone is interested in trading on bitcoin or any cryptocurrency and want a successful trade without losing notify Mr Anderson now.Whatsapp: (+447883246472 )
    Email: tdameritrade077@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete


  3. Do you need financial assistance of any kind? Personal loans; Business loans; Mortgages; Corporate loans? Agricultural financing and project financing? We give loans with 2% interest rate! Contact: challotloan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONTACT US FOR ALL KINDS OF HACKING JOBs @ We offer professional hacking services,we offer the following services;
    -University grades changing
    -Bank accounts hack
    -Erase criminal records hack
    -Facebook hack
    -Twitters hack
    -email accounts hack
    -Grade Changes hack
    Contact us on whatsapp + 1 681 532 3704
    Email- n17833408@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. LEGIT FULLZ & TOOLS STORE

    Hello to All !

    We are offering all types of tools & Fullz on discounted price.
    If you are in search of anything regarding fullz, tools, tutorials, Hack Pack, etc
    Feel Free to contact

    ***CONTACT 24/7***
    **Telegram > @leadsupplier
    **ICQ > 752822040
    **Skype > Peeterhacks
    **Wicker me > peeterhacks

    "SSN LEADS/FULLZ AVAILABLE"
    "TOOLS & TUTORIALS AVAILABLE FOR HACKING, SPAMMING,
    CARDING, CASHOUT, CLONING, SCRIPTING ETC"

    **************************************
    "Fresh Spammed SSN Fullz info included"
    >>SSN FULLZ with complete info
    >>CC With CVV (vbv & non vbv) Fullz USA
    >>FULLZ FOR SBA, PUA & TAX RETURN FILLING
    >>USA I.D Photos Front & Back
    >>High Credit Score fullz (700+ Scores)
    >>DL number, Employee Details, Bank Details Included
    >>Complete Premium Info with Relative Info

    ***************************************
    COMPLETE GUIDE FOR TUTORIALS & TOOLS

    "SPAMMING" "HACKING" "CARDING" "CASH OUT"
    "KALI LINUX" "BLOCKCHAIN BLUE PRINTS" "SCRIPTING"
    "FRAUD BIBLE"

    "TOOLS & TUTORIALS LIST"
    =>Ethical Hacking Ebooks, Tools & Tutorials
    =>Bitcoin Hacking
    =>Kali Linux
    =>Fraud Bible
    =>RAT
    =>Keylogger & Keystroke Logger
    =>Whatsapp Hacking & Hacked Version of Whatsapp
    =>Facebook & Google Hacking
    =>Bitcoin Flasher
    =>SQL Injector
    =>Premium Logs (PayPal/Amazon/Coinbase/Netflix/FedEx/Banks)
    =>Bitcoin Cracker
    =>SMTP Linux Root
    =>Shell Scripting
    =>DUMPS with pins track 1 and 2 with & without pin
    =>SMTP's, Safe Socks, Rdp's brute
    =>PHP mailer
    =>SMS Sender & Email Blaster
    =>Cpanel
    =>Server I.P's & Proxies
    =>Viruses & VPN's
    =>HQ Email Combo (Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, AOL, etc.)

    *Serious buyers will always welcome
    *Price will be reduce in bulk order
    *Discount offers will give to serious buyers
    *Hope we do a great business together

    ===>Contact 24/7<===
    ==>Telegram > @leadsupplier
    ==>ICQ > 752822040
    ==>Skype > Peeterhacks
    ==>Wicker me > peeterhacks

    ReplyDelete
  6. πŸ“ŠπŸ“ŠπŸ“Š Hello , Investment is one of the best ways to achieve financial freedom. For a beginner there are so many challenges you face. It’s hard to know how to get started. Trading on the Cryptocurrency market has really been a life changer for me. I almost gave up on crypto currency at some point not until I got a proficient trader Bernie Doran, he gave me all the information required to succeed in trading. I made more profit than I could ever imagine. I’m not here to converse much but to share my testimony, I invested $2000.00 and got back $20,500.00 within 7 days of investment. His strategies and signals are the best and I have gained more knowledge. If you are new to cryptocurrency I would recommend you contact him through Gmail : BERNIEDORANSIGNALS@GMAIL.COM or his WhatsApp : +1424(285)-0682 , tell him I referred you✅✅✅✅✅✅πŸ“ŠπŸ“ŠπŸ“ŠπŸ“ŠπŸ“ŠπŸ“ŠπŸ“ŠπŸ“ŠπŸ“ŠπŸ“ŠπŸ“Š☎️☎️☎️☎️☎️☎️☎️☎️☎️☎️πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ“žπŸ“žπŸ“žπŸ“žπŸ“žπŸ“žπŸ“žπŸ“žπŸ“žπŸ“žπŸ“ž

    ReplyDelete